Book & Author Details:
Power Play by Catherine Gayle
(Portland Storm, #11)
Publication date: June 29th 2017
Genres: New Adult, Romance
She’s got the dress; he’s got the honeymoon. Why not tie the knot?
Honeymooning alone in Cabo, injured Portland Storm center Riley Jezek would do anything to get back at his cheating ex-fiancée and backstabbing brother. When a knockout blonde sits next to him at the bar, Riley’s ready to erase the memories of his ex. But when he notices the tears threatening to stain the blonde’s wedding gown, Riley decides it’s time for a Power Play.
Mackenzie Cain thought she had it all figured out. She found the man. She found the fairytale. She thought it was her dream come true. She was wrong. What she found was a nightmare with a crazy fetish. Alone and dressed in couture was not how she envisioned her wedding night.
When the sexy hockey player makes her an offer, Mackenzie can’t refuse. After all, Prince Charming always shows up by chance. But can Riley’s attempt at revenge turn Mackenzie’s new reality into a page-turning romance?
What is is with these hockey players? Another good looking hockey hunk, another spontaneous, not for love wedding! Seriously, you would think that they would be better at this.
That said, although on the face of it this is a story which shouldn’t work, once again, the author has pulled the rabbit out of the bag.
This time, the female protagonist isn’t strong and feisty. She doesn’t immediately seem to fit the mould of the usual pairing for the hockey player. And yet, if you look under the surface, that strength is there – its just waiting for the reader (and Mackenzie) to discover it.
Riley is, of course, a dream. Says all the right things. Does all the right things. And even when he might be straying away from the right thing, he still steers it back effortlessly. Such a romantic lot this team.
Succinctly put, this is a decent read, if you can get over the premise.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Catherine Gayle is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary hockey romance and Regency-set historical romance. She’s a transplanted Texan living in North Carolina with two extremely spoiled felines. In her spare time, she watches way too much hockey and reality TV, plans fun things to do for the Nephew Monster’s next visit, and performs experiments in the kitchen which are rarely toxic.
If you want to know more, be sure to sign up for Catherine’s mailing list. She can also be found at Hockey Romance, at Facebook, on Twitter, and at Goodreads. If you want to see some of her cats’ antics and possibly the occasional video update from Catherine, visit her YouTube account.
A bit more about Catherine
- She doesn’t function without coffee. Two cups, every day, no matter what.
- She freely admits to her crazy cat lady status. She just wishes they would all stay kittens forever. Kittens are fun; cats are sometimes fun but often fickle.
- Her go-to writing snack? Orange gummy bears. Yes, just the orange ones. Yes, she knows it’s bad. These are especially important when she gets to those crying-and-writing moments.
- She’s an introvert and quite possibly a hermit. If you were to arrive at her house unnanounced, you might have to wait on the porch while she gets dressed. Working in PJs is awesome.
- She never learned to ride a bike, and she’s content to remain ignorant on that matter.